Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

thou shalt bear fruit... just not very much of it this year.. :)

About a month ago or so I bought some fruit trees. These are all the semi-dwarf type that have multiple grafts so they'll produce 3-5 different varieties of each fruit. If you haven't noticed I'm going for diverse around here so I thought this would be the best way to do that with fruit trees without taking up lots of room (another must considering I'm only farming 2.18 acres). I got an apple, peach, plum, cherry and pear tree. I also got a pair of kiwis (I've seen two outdoor gardens here in Oregon's Willamette Valley that grows kiwi's successfully and I love kiwis so I'm going to see if I can do it too. 

So the exciting news. I have cherries, peaches and kiwis. 

The not so exciting news is I have a total of two cherries on the cherry tree...
three kiwi's on the kiwi vine...
and two peaches... 

My mouth still waters at the idea of it. I guess I'm lucky to have any fruit at all since trees tend to take a few years before they produce. You can bet your butt I'll be keeping a close guard on my precious fruit though. How nice to bite into a home grown peach... 

Hopefully next year sees more fruit. 
They'll be a nice extra to add onto my list for my garden customers. (thinking like a business woman?)

No comments:

Post a Comment